The random ramblings of a teenage web designer trying to make it big. Design, gaming, music, and life in Florida. Because everything else just isn't as good.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Protopage

Well, again I have neglected my blog. But have no fear, I'm back with an AJAX based web application review for all of the geeks out there. I fired up my feed reader this morning and found roughly 25 new posts on the sites I subscribe to. One of those was a new entry at Devils Details for a website called Protopage. Protopage is a revolutionary AJAX web app that allows you to create your own dynamic home page. You can add links, leave notes, and even change the look of your Protopage.

For those of you not up on the latest in web technology, AJAX stands for Asynchronous Javascript and XML. AJAX allows developers to dynamically design websites, much like PHP, but without the need to refresh and go through all of those different tags. By using AJAX Protopage allows you to manage your page, making as many changes as needed in one sitting, without ever having to hit the refresh button to see the changes.

So, I have been messing around with Protopage for about an hour now, and am finding it extremely frustrating. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, is easy to use, and has some great features, but AJAX just hasn't developed enough for a project of this size. The load times are enormous, and it took me about 20 minutes just to change the look of my Protopage. Now, I'm on a 5 MBPS connection, so I know it's not my ISPs fault. Hopefully as AJAX continues to grow, so will this project, and who knows, maybe I'll even try it again one day. Finally, I recommend this site to anyone interested in the power of AJAX.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home